Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blog #8

Caller Oysters
I started to get a little confused when it got to the part about not needing to pay doctors for "their stinkin potions." It sounds like oysters have medicinal purposes and can cure headaches. Fergusson also says that oysters cure heartache, but I'm not sure this is credible since he seems to favor and idealize them so much. Also I can hardly imagine anything more repulsive than liquor mixed with oysters. It must be an acquired taste.

To the Principal and Professors
This poem took away my appetite, so I'm glad I waited to read it until after supper. All that talk about greasy soup and hundreds of baked snails and frogs...and then as if that weren't enough, haggis and singed sheep's head. Not exactly my idea of a "Superb Treat." It took me a while to realize that Samy referred to Samuel Johnson, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did scream when presented with the white and bloody puddins. I also thought it was interesting that "secundo" meant secondly, since segundo in Spanish means much the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment