Sunday, January 31, 2010

Blog Post #7

Johnson: Col
It's interesting to me that there are so many references to India and the East Indies, because I never thought of Scotland as one of the main contenders in the race for conquest and world domination. I also thought it was incredible that ministers would travel from island to island in order to preach to individual congregations. I suppose that one of the unique aspects for a person seeking to be ordained as a minister in an island parish would be having to consider his level of susceptibility to seasickness. Also, I agree with Johnson that having only one church on the island would be a deterrent or a test of faithfulness for people living farther away.

The excerpt from Ben Dorain was surprising to me for a variety of reasons. For one, the author spent the vast majority of this part of the poem describing the speed and gracefulness of deer and how wonderful it is to hunt them. In fact, it makes them sound like gods: "Even light would be tardy to the flash of her pulse." It also glorifies rifles as instruments of death. I wonder what a "pibroch" is, and why Mozart is mentioned in the first section.

No comments:

Post a Comment