Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Blog Post #12

Oh, dear. Waverly was more confusing this time--possibly because of all the details about the Jacobite Rebellion and political references. I think it would be helpful if I knew more about the history of the rebellion, so I'll look it up if I get the chance. This particular set of chapters was also alarming what with the cattle and sheep (not to mention people) being abducted by Highland mauraders. Edward seems to be mixed up in a love triangle of sorts with Rose and Flora, but Fergus might be able to simplify matters. "The Lay of the Last Minstrel" seemed lonely and depressing to me. Does it literally mean the last surviving minstrel, I wonder? And are bards synonymous with minstrels? I liked "The Lady of the Lake" better, which I know is one of Scott's most famous poems. I liked the first section the best although it also confused me the most. Did the Lady ever make an appearance in the poem? I read a lot abou a Harp...is she the one who plays it? On the whole, the readings for today were more challenging than some of the previous ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment