Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Blog Post #15

A lot has been happening in Waverley lately. Edward's father is dead, and Fergus doesn't seem to care...he is remarkably self-centered. Naturally Fergus gets bent out of shape when he thinks Edward is a threat/obstacle to winning Rose's hand in marriage. Thank goodness the Baron put a stop to Fergus's challenge of a  "fight to the death" over Rose. Also, there was a plot to kill Edward that went awry? Talk about a heap of trouble for one clueless guy to handle.

I also wanted to talk about the poems for today. I thought "The Wee, Wee German Lairdie" was extremely insulting throughout, so it achieves its purpose well in that respect. There is also a garden metaphor and a bit about thistles (which I believe represent Scottish nationalism). Are thistles the national weed? They're so prickly...menacing, I suppose--like a proper mascot should be. I really liked "The Thistle's Grown aboon the Rose" for some reason. I honestly can't explain why, and I'm not even sure I understood it. Ok, yes, I liked the rhyme, rhythm, and meter. I thought the language was beautiful, especially in the first two stanzas. Somehow, it is very satisfying to read. Maybe this is the case because everything is so exact and follows the constructed pattern with some variation in the third stanza.

No comments:

Post a Comment