Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blog Post #10

This set of poems was more confusing than the last. I got a bit lost with "Tam o' Shanter," but what I did understand reminded me of a mixture of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Young Goodman Brown. It also has a moral, which is amusingly enough: Don't get drunk. I loved the line "Gathering her brows like gathering storm." How descriptive! The other poem I had some trouble with was "Is There for Honest Poverty." I kept getting distracted by the line 'For a' that, and a' that' and subsequent 'a' thats' which repetition did not serve to elucidate (much to my dismay). Fie! "Ae Fond Kiss" and "A Red, Red Rose" were pleasant, although "Oh Wert Thou in the Cauld Blast" was decidedly more original. Not many love poems reference plaid, after all...I also liked "John Anderson My Jo."

No comments:

Post a Comment