Sunday, February 14, 2010

Blog Post #11

I like Edward Waverly as a character and can identify with him in some ways. I don't think that Scott is hard to understand, but his style seems to me to be unnecessarily frilly and formal (somehow he manages both at the same time although they don't normally go together). I read an interesting quote by Beethoven regarding Scott's writing. Beethoven threw the novel across the room and shouted, "Why, the fellow writes for money!" Also Scott had good taste in names (Aunt Rachel, for example). I liked both of his poems for today as well. Now that I know more about Scott, I can see why he would write a poem like "Lochinvar." He loved romance and studying about the past. "Proud Maisie" was more mysterious. For example, I am confused as to how Maisie's marriage and death are linked. Maybe she thinks she's too good for anyone...I'm not exactly sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment