Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blog Post #28

"Instrument and Agent" is an interesting poem. Is it like signifier and signified? That would be a more boring title, I suppose. Does the first line mean that the speaker does not love anyone? I like the description of how each image uses other thoughts to make meaning. I wonder why the "objects" travel to the back of the brain. They all accumulate in one place, apparently, but what is significant about the back other than the fact that they all have to move a short distance to get there? The pairings of images and concepts are interesting, but there seems to be a theme of space with moon and stars. Is the poem comparing the mind to the infinite reaches of outer space?

"Basking Shark"--I love the title of this poem. I like the line "on a sea tin-tacked with rain" and the contrast of the shark's great size in comparison with its tiny brain. The poem explores the concept of evolution. I wonder why the shark was "shaken" on the wrong side of the family tree. "Shook" is a curious verb to use, and I wonder what it means in this context. It makes me imagine a tree growing sharks instead of apples, which is rather alarming! The speaker starts thinking deep thoughts about who is superior by evolutionary standards. I find it hard to believe that the speaker is more frightened by the idea that he could be a monster than by the fact that he has just hit a shark with his oar, and has probably made it very angry by doing so! However, on the whole, I enjoy Norman MacCaig's poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment