Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Blog Post #24

cdfoigmdodlfjb. I don't understand. I'm not sure a word has been invented that describes my present state of confusion. What is argy-bargying? What is clamjamfried? Oh, I am vexed! These archaic sayings are frightful. Then there are British and Scots terms/slang thrown in for good measure and enough characters to make my head swim. And this is just in the prelude. I guess my questions at this point is how is all of this connected and what exactly is going on? I don't dislike it, but I've got to say I'm pretty sure that I'm lost. Is the prelude just a description of the people who live in this community in 1911? There are several good descriptive lines--for example: "She'd redden up like a stalk of rhubarb in a dung patch." One other thing I can say for certain is that nothing seems to smell very good in Kinraddie. Actually, the more I read, the more I like it...that's funny! I like reading dialect and interesting sayings, so maybe that's why. I don't like John Guthrie, though. He always seems to be in a bad temper, and not in a humorous way either. Does Chris have two selves? A Scottish self and an English self? She seems to be divided between the two of them--as though different aspects of her identity come out in particular circumstances. This is much easier to understand now. It's very interesting, sort of coming-of-age-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment