Thursday, April 15, 2010

Blog Post #27

Haha! "She'd be safe as a cow though she hoped to God she didn't quite look like one." That is a good line. Chris has her baby and it sounds like a very unpleasant ordeal despite the doctor's assurance. There is a lot about the war, and people seem to be quite anti-German. I wonder if this helped the book's popularity at all--it was published in 1932. When Chae comes back from the war, he is different. He's thinner and his laugh is altered. And then Rob is taken away to war against his will and Ewan goes off to war without even telling Chris first! I would be sooo mad!! He just leaves her with all that responsibility and his son to take care of all by herself. Will comes back...it's hard not to like Will when Chris obviously likes him so much. Ewan comes back and he's just awful. If I thought he was bad before, he's twice as bad now. She actually has to threaten him with a knife, and it's sad that that's the only kind of language that gets through to him. His son doesn't even know him any more. Too bad he didn't realize that it's more cowardly to submit to the need to prove himself rather than to live life the way he wants to. As if he hasn't done enough damage already, he goes and dies in the war. I feel sorry for Chris. It gets worse! He was shot as a deserter. Rob was killed too. I am not satisfied with the ending, maybe because it didn't fulfill my expectations. Also, I sincerely hope we go over the poems tomorrow in class...I didn't really understand them, but I get the feeling that they are probably very good and I'm missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment