Thursday, January 21, 2010

Blog Post #3

When I first read "God send euerie Preist ane wyfe," I thought that ane meant any, so I assumed that the priest was desperate to the point of recklessness. Later I realized that he was asking for one (1) wife, which is somewhat less amusing. I don't really think it was meant to be a comical poem, but initally it struck me as such. He sensibly argues that even "Sanct Peter" had a wife and suggests that fewer children would be born out of wedlock if marriage were allowed. Poor Preist.

I really enjoyed Sir Robert Aytoun's "Sonnet: On the River Tweed." The language is beautiful and stately. I'm not positive that my interpretation is correct, but he seems to be mourning the death of a captain or king--"But now conjoynes, two Diadems in one." I thought that maybe the king's body was being sent in a boat down the River Tweed toward the sea (sort of like Boromir in Lord of the Rings), but I could be entirely wrong.

I also liked "Farewell for ever to last night" by Niall Mór MacMhuirich. It is a tale of two lovers who cannot be together, and the main themes are romance and tragedy. It is reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet as a result of these characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment