Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Blog Post #2

I liked Henryson's "The Two Mice" because it was not too hard to understand even with the foreign word spellings. The fact that I was familiar with the story probably helped me out a little as well. Who was the first person to come up with that story? I always assumed it was Aesop--maybe he was a fraud. In any case, both stories are didactic and have a moral ending.

I wasn't able to put together enough words to make much sense of "Blind Harry." Who does the title refer to? It kind of sounded like Sir Wallace of Scotland killed off the English by burning the land and causing the soldiers to jump into the ocean and drown. The word "schippys" strikes me as very funny, although I'm sure "a hundreth schippys" is nothing to sneeze at. All the same, Sir Wallace managed to dispose of them without undue exertion.

The piece from The Book of the Dean of Lismore was rather depressing. Ossian is clearly feeling nostalgic (oh, yesteryear!) and would rather have died in battle than waste away without anything to fight for. He is the kind of person who lives for adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment