Friday, January 15, 2010

My First Blog Post!

Well that was momentous.

Anyways, "The Attributes of a Gentleman" was an interesting piece and by far the easiest one to understand. I didn't know that skiing was so big in Scotland in 1158. What does St. Ronald of Orkney mean by "serve" in the 6th line?

The excerpt from The Gododdin praises Geraint, a powerful warlord. This text reminds me of Beowulf because of the epic style in which it is written (although Geraint was defeated and his enemy survived). I think the word "feasted" in line 7 needs some sort of explanation because it is not usually associated with hardship. Also, what's with the fleece? The only other reference I can think of is the search for the golden fleece.

I sincerely hope we discuss the John Barbour readings. I can figure out the general gist of what he's saying but the sentence structure is sometimes hard to decipher, especially when combined with the strange word spellings. For example, what do "gyff" and "mekill" mean?!? I'm not used to seeing that many y's in a single sentence.

These are the things that stood out to me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment