Thursday, January 28, 2010

Blog Post #6

Johnson: Raasay
If I had to pick one place to visit in Scotland, I think this would be it. There are otters, old pirate caves, ancient ruins, wild scenery, and the people sing a harvest song while they work! There are also Erse songs and dancing. It sounds lovely and intriguing. I know Johnson doesn't agree with me: No Sir! On the contrary, "Raasay has little that can detain a traveller, except the laird and his family." The only unpleasant part I can agree to without seeing it for myself is that parts of the island are so steep that cattle fall of of it and are swallowed in the sea.

Boswell:
He recounts one of Johnson's moments of didacticism on the subject of women and propriety. I found it somewhat sickening. His pompousness and attitude of superiority (when he's not even a woman!) are more than a little infuriating. I completely 100 % agree with his general argument that women shouldn't cheat on men, but he seems to be awfully one-sided. He says, "Where single women are licentious, you rarely find faithful married women." I think this is a serious generalization to make, and it is even worse that he states it as fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment