Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blog Post #21

As there is a lot to cover in this section, I am going to write about what interested me most--which is: Pirates! Arr! It was extremely interesting to hear about the Chevalier's and the Master's adventures on the high seas. The only minor irritant was that at times, Mr. Mackellar found it necessary to put his 2 cents in. Thankfully he kept this to a minimum and did not disrupt the story too much with his pompously distracting "This is what he said, but I know better" comments. I haven't heard James' account yet, but I don't particularly care for him thus far. I don't think it was necessary for him to kill Dutton even if he was a pirate; in fact, I think it was a highly ungentlemanly thing to do. Francis comes off far better and I can sympathize with him more. Captain Teach was quite a character--the scene in which he chews glass is quite disturbing, but then again so are the numerous episodes in which sailors are made to walk the plank. I was pleased that there was real treasure and that some of it was even buried in the end, according to Francis' account. How exciting!

Both of Stevenson's poems for today were rather morbid, but at the same time hopeful. The narrator is not afraid of death, and almost seems to welcome it. It seems that they were both about sailors, or at least travellers. Much like Stevenson himself, from the sound of it. It reminds me of Dumbledore's remark in Harry Potter that "to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." I think Stevenson might have agreed with the sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment