Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blog Post #20

 I am not sure I understand the hierarchy of Scottish titles. From what I read, I gathered that there was a lord, a master, a steward, and a major-domo. Probably there were others too, but I'm not sure. I thought it was strange that the narrator's name is not introduced until page 20. Isn't that rather late into the story? Actually, I noticed that his name appears in the preface, but at that point I was unaware that he was the main character. Do most Scottish folk tales involve meetings with Auld Horny or the devil? I noticed several references. I also feel very bad for Mr. Henry. He sounds absolutely miserable, and he has good reason to if everyone likes his brother better than him. And who marries someone out of pity?! That part just makes me mad.

I loved Stevenson's "The Light-Keeper." I like the imagery and the line "This is the man who gives up that is lovely in living for the means to live." I like the idea that this lonely, solitary man is an inspiration for poetry--it shows that he is noticed despite the fact that he is removed from society.

No comments:

Post a Comment